About Title IX
Title IX is a federal law that was passed in 1972 to ensure that male and female students and employees in educational settings are treated equally and fairly. It protects against discrimination based on gender. Title IX is a federal law that was passed in 1972 to ensure that male and female students and employees in educational settings are treated equally and fairly. It protects against discrimination based on gender.
The preamble states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving federal assistance." Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Title IX Updates
New Title IX regulations went into effect on August 14th. The Oregon Department of Education is supporting School Districts in understanding and implementing the new regulations, and to holistically support all students in receiving an education free from sex discrimination. As we move forward through this year, whether through comprehensive distance learning, in-person instruction, or a hybridization, it's imperative to continue to prioritize equal access and civil rights for all students.
Title IX Resources
The Oregon Department of Education has several reources available that break down the new Title IX regulations - please click here to be re-directed to the ODE website.
North Wasco County School District - Title IX Coordinator
Brian Schimel, Director of Human Resources
3632 West 10th Street, The Dalles, Oregon 97058
North Wasco County SD 21 - School Board Policies in compliance with Title IX
- Policy AC - Nondiscrimination
- Policy JB - Equal Education Opportunity
- Policy GBN/JBA - Sexual Harassment
Title IX - How to File a Claim
- ODE Complaint Information - Provides information to those seeking assistance with complaints and to those individuals who are responsible for enforcement and oversight. Allegations of discrimination or harassment, based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability and age, are addressed by specific federal law and Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 659.850, Discrimination in Education Prohibited. Allegations of discrimination or harassment, based on religion, marital status and sexual orientation, are also addressed by ORS 659.850.
- North Wasco County School District - (Adopted School Board policies providing information on filing complaints of discrimination or harassment.)
- Policy AC-AR: Discrimination Complaint Procedure & Discrimination Complaint Form
- Policy GBN/JBA - AR: Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedure & Sexual Harassment Complaint Form
- Policy GBN/JBA-AR(2): Federal Law (Title IX) Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedure
Resources / materials used in NWC Title IX Personnel trainings
- 2020 Title IX Training (November 9th, 2020) - Kate Hildebrandt, Civil Rights and title IX Specialist, ODE
- Sexual Harassment in Oregon K-12 Schools (Part 1: The New Title IX Regulations) - ODE video
- Sexual Harassment in Oregon K-12 Schools (Part 2: Preparing People, Policy and Process for August 14th) - ODE video
- Conducting Title IX Investigations - Brian Hungerford, The Hungerford Law Firm