High School History
Students have been graduating from The Dalles High School for over 130 years. The Dalles School District #1 was established in 1854, becoming District #12 in the 1890's, with an outlying county District #9 of Chenowith. Our joining of two districts #9 and #12 later became District 21.
Even though our first dedicated high school building was opened in 1915, students graduating from the Academy and Whittier schools considered themselves graduates of The Dalles High School. The original high school sat next to the Whittier School building and was destroyed by a fire in 1940. The present day high school building is in the same location. The Whittier School remained in use until 1974 when the district built-on an addition.
In 1964 District #9, Chenowith, opened the new Wahtonka High School. This school served students for ten years until 2004 when the then joined District 21 brought together the two high schools of The Dalles to form The Dalles Wahtonka High School. The high school name changed again in 2014 and remains The Dalles High School today.
High School History Photo Gallery
The Dalles High School 1896 - 2004
Yearbook: The Steelhead
Wahtonka High School 1964 - 2004
Yearbook: The Talon
The Dalles Wahtonka High School 2004 - 2014
Nicknamed: T-DUBMascot: Eagles-IndiansYearbook: The Totem
The Dalles High School 2015 - To Present
Yearbook: The Columbia