For the complete Comprehensive Guidance Program document - please click hereFor the complete Comprehensive Guidance & Counseling / Child Development Specialist programNorth Wasco County SD 21
Comprehensive Guidance Program
(Adopted by the Board of Directors – March 20th, 2008)
The purpose of the school counseling program is to impart specific skills and learning opportunities in a proactive, preventive manner, ensuring all students can achieve school success through academic, career and personal/social development experiences. The comprehensive school guidance and counseling program targets four main areas of development:
1. Academic – learning to learn
2. Career – learning to work
3. Personal/Social – learning to live
4. Community Involvement – learning to contribute
The Comprehensive Guidance and Counseling program will:
- Address the needs of all students.
- Be an integral part of the instructional program and total educational experience
- Include structured activities based upon the needs of each student, including preventative, developmental, and remedial services.
- Provide accountability and continuous improvement through annual review of student progress and program and staff evaluation
- Include appropriate professional development for all staff to maintain a quality program.
- Depend upon the support and collaboration of administrators, teachers and other school personnel, student and the community
- Be coordinated by licensed school counselors.
There are many benefits of a Comprehensive Guidance and Counseling Program for the entire community including students, parents, teachers, counselors, administrators and businesses and industry.
The benefits to students include:
- Students are prepared for the challenges of the future when their academic, career, personal/social development and community participation are supported
- Students are taught the skills for a lifetime of learning, career self management and social interaction
- Students educational programs are related to next steps and future success
- Students knowledge of our changing world is broadened
- Students career exploration and planning is facilitated
- Students are assured equitable access
- Each individual student receives advocacy
The benefits to parents include:
- Their children are prepared for the challenges of the future
- Their child’s long range planning and learning is a developed system
- Their child’s academics are tied to the next step
- Parents are provided with support in advocating for their child’s academic, career, and personal development.
- There are increased opportunities for parent/school interaction.
- Parent access to school and community is facilitated.
The benefits to teachers include:
- The academic success of each student is supported
- Teachers guidance role is clearly defined
- An interdisciplinary team effort is provided to address student needs and educational goals.
- Consultation is provided to assist teachers in their guidance role.
The benefit to school counselors include:
- Provision of program content to each student is ensured
- The role of the school counselor as a student advocate is enhanced
- A clearly defined role and function is provided
- Critical counseling functions are focused on
- A tool for program management and accountability is provided.
- The academic mission of the school is ensured.
The benefits to administrators include:
- School counseling is integrated with the academic mission of the school
- Program structure is provided with specific content
- The school counselors role is defined through enhancing learning and development for each student
- A means of evaluating school guidance and counseling programs is provided.
Benefits to the community include:
- Community awareness of student support systems necessary for success is created.
- Economic development is enhanced through quality preparation of students for the world of work
- An increased opportunity for collaboration and participation of community members with the school program is provided.
- The community is educated to the needs of the school and vice versa.
Benefits for business and industry include:
- A future workforce with decision-making skills, pre-employment skills, increased worker maturity, and a career self-management skill is provided.
- There are increased opportunities for business and industry to participate actively in the total school program.
- An increased opportunity for collaboration among counselors, business and industry, and communities is provided.