Colonel Wright Elementary School History
Formally dedicated and officially named on Sunday April 5, 1925 Colonel Wright School, located on the parade grounds of Old Fort Dalles, opened its doors to students and teachers for the first time on September 8, 1925.
Originally built with 11 rooms, it has been faithfully serving the community of The Dalles ever since. The two story building currently houses 3rd, 4th, and 5th level classrooms as well as the Media Center/Library.
Colonel Wright Elementary School is a friendly school of approximately 304 K-5th grade students and 40 staff members. Our school has two buildings: one is used for the K-2ndgraders and the other is for the 3rd-5th graders, with a beautiful courtyard in between. Next to our courtyard, students and staff continue to enjoy and utilize the Geo Dome that was recently added with the help of former Principal, Brian Goodwin, parents, staff, students and National Guard Service Men and Women.
Colonel Wright students and staff have the opportunity to enjoy daily a great view of Mt. Adams from the West end of our campus as well as many of our seasonal cherry orchards. Along with this beautiful scenery, Colonel Wright is located within walking distance of Sorosis Park and the community.